nvidia vs kmod-nvidia

Ian Malone ibmalone at gmail.com
Wed Dec 13 21:52:21 UTC 2006

Tim wrote:
> On Mon, 2006-12-11 at 09:21 +0800, Hadders wrote:
>> I suppose you could argue that it's to much work for nvidia to support
>> one of the largest Linux distros. However, they seem to handle
>> supporting Windows okay, but then again, there's a much larger market
>> share and I'm sure there's a greater financial incentive.

My understanding (could be wrong), is that FC isn't actually one
of the largest linux distros, by a reasonable margin.  And being a
fraction of Linux is insignificant compared to Windows (also, my
experience with 9x era Windows drivers suggests many of them are
not well packaged, things may be better now).

>> It would be nice to see nVidia support FC by incorporating livna, but
>> then again, I also understand it's easier for them from many many
>> perspectives to make the drivers available and let the distro fend for
>> itself.
>
> Better to have a few repos with just about all you need, than having to
> configure your system with masses of repos, one for each bit of special
> hardware you have on your system (video cards, LAN NICs, sound cards,
> I/O cards, etc.).

Also, think of all the projects that have CVS/SVN and GNU style
tarballs with autoconf/configure.  While these are easier to
adapt to RPM packages it's basically the same issue; they'll
all do things slightly differently and the distro's role is to
standardise them (and allow you to remove them easily without them
interfering with each other too much).

--
imalone