permissions problem

James Wilkinson fedora at aprilcottage.co.uk
Wed Dec 13 23:40:46 UTC 2006

Gerhard Magnus wrote:
> I'm running FC5 and gnome on a machine dual booting with Windows and
> would like to read from/write to a Windows vfat partition.  I've added
> this line to /etc/fstab:
>
> /dev/sdb1   /mnt/win   vfat    rw,noatime,uid=500,gid=500,user   0 0
>
> Then, also as root:
>
> mkdir /mnt/win
> chmod 777 /mnt/win
>
> In linux, I can now read from the /mnt/win directory but can't write to
> it without root privileges.  How should I set the privileges on this
> directory so that I can write to it as a user?  Are the mount parameters
> in fstab correct?

What's your user ID and group ID? You can run the id command to check.
Make sure they fit what's in the /etc/fstab above. You might also like
to add dmask=2,fmask=113 to the options -- they give more usable default
permissions.

Don't try using Unix commands to change permissions on a vfat
filesystem -- It Don't Work Like That.

Hope this helps,

James.

--
E-mail:     james@ | "Hardware simply does not work like the manual says and
aprilcottage.co.uk | no amount of Zen contemplation will ever make you at one