cpu overheating JOKING:::

Gene Heskett gene.heskett at verizon.net
Thu Dec 14 05:09:08 UTC 2006

On Wednesday 13 December 2006 23:18, Mike McCarty wrote:
>Hadders wrote:
>> Is that the sound of a dinosaur I hear roaring in the distance ;-)
>> *just kidding, couldn't resist*
>
>I'm surprised Gene Heskitt hasn't chimed in yet...

Well, as dinosaur's go, I guess I sorta qualify.  But now if I could just
get folks to spell my name right...  I've certainly done the dinosaur
roar a time or two in my time, occasionally even getting someones
attention whom I might not otherwise have.  Funny part is, the last time
I did that, to the outgoing Chief at a tv station I'd been sent to
babysit while the new owners were getting all their ducks in a row, must
have taken me 10 minutes to run down.  When I was done, he said no one
had ever explained it that way before, and then asked me if he could ask
why the hell wasn't I teaching someplace?

You see, here it seems I'm the eternal newbie.

There I was in my element and could back it up with references if need be.

The subject in that instance was the proper termination of a cable.  Any
cable would have sufficed, but in this case it was a video cable he had
double terminated after I'd removed it on a previous visit.  Because the
cable lengths were accidentally correct, the tee off the middle of it was
essentially black and white as the color subcarrier stuff was nicely
nulled out by the miss-term generated echo.

>"Ones? You had Ones? We just had Zeroes in my day!"

Nuh uh, all we had was naughts back then, and sometimes it took quite a
few of them to enumerate something.  Kernels of corn in a wagonload comes
to mind.  Doug, rest his soul, had yet to give us the answer of 42 by at
least 4 decades.

--
Cheers, Gene
-Ed Howdershelt (Author)