How to force udev to mount a device if present

Jonathan Ryshpan jonrysh at pacbell.net
Thu Dec 14 06:29:16 UTC 2006

On Wed, 2006-12-13 at 22:37 -0600, Mikkel L. Ellertson wrote:
> You can configure both KDE and Gnome to auto-mount USB drives, CDs
> DVDs, and other removable media. For Gnome, it is
> gnome-volume-properties.

How is this configuration done?  And does it have effect after the
system boots but before the desktop is started?  gnome-volume-properties
indicates that the system should "Mount removable drives when hot
plugged." and under KDE the "Properties" popup for the drive indicates
"Mount automatically".  But the drive is not mounted till I click
"Mount" in the popup for the drive.  I suspect that part of the problem
is that the drive is already plugged into the system when it starts.

Thanks - jon