problem with samba...

David Timms dtimms at iinet.net.au
Thu Dec 14 12:53:23 UTC 2006

Scott van Looy wrote:
> Today David Timms did spake thusly:
>
>>> Samba stopped working *before* I deleted and recreated the group,
>>> that's why I did it.
>> # rpm -q fedora-release
>> # rpm -qa|grep samba
>> # grep samba /var/log/yum*
>
> FC6 with the latest samba
> samba-3.0.23c-2
> samba-common-3.0.23c-2
> samba-client-3.0.23c-2
>  ~]# grep samba /var/log/yum*
> /var/log/yum.log.1:Oct 27 08:37:09 Erased: samba
> /var/log/yum.log.1:Oct 27 08:37:14 Erased: samba-swat
> /var/log/yum.log.1:Oct 27 08:38:57 Installed: samba.i386 3.0.23c-2
What was the last known working normally date ?

>>> Which I've done. Any other ideas?
>> The @group is not working in fc6's current version.
>> smb.conf:
>> A name starting with a '@' is interpreted as an NIS netgroup first (if
>> your system supports NIS), and then as a UNIX group if the name was
>> not found in the NIS netgroup database.
>>
>> But there is a weird thing with nis where it is failing, and hence
>> never giving smb useful results.
>>
>> You can
>> - in /etc/samba/smb/conf change the @ to + {look in unix groups first}
>
> write list = +users
> This just gives me "permission denied" when I try and write...
So what was the message before ?

>> or
>> - in /etc/nsswitch.conf set netgroup:  files  {which worked for me}
>
> This didn't work either. Permission denied. The directory in question
> has 775 perms.
owner:group ?
selinux perms ?
$ ls -laZ

> This is all a red herring though, if I change the group in question to
> be "wheel" then it all works correctly. So partly fixed, but no idea why
> my "users" group has suddenly stopped working...
>
> Why would a group created using system-config-users a) not show up when
> I type "groups" and am a member of it and
On my machine:
$ groups
davidt

$ grep davidt /etc/group
davidt:x:500:
vmware-users:x:501:davidt

This appears to be the same that you are seeing.

  b) not appear to samba, the
> filesystem appears to see it fine...and it appears in /etc/groups and
> /etc/gshadow
If the group ID is <500 then
   it would only be shown if you show system accounts, or v-v.

On my PC, cat /etc/group|grep users
users:x:100:test,devel

Perhaps there is a selinux tie up with the groupid ? Easy to temporarily
turn of selinux in case it is involved. If it works, I think the answer
is to label the smb share as type share {I forget the exact xyz_t}.
Google selinux site:.redhat.com
maybe:
http://www.redhat.com/archives/fedora-selinux-list/2006-February/msg00162.html

DaveT.