Grub problem with SATA drives

Tim ignored_mailbox at yahoo.com.au
Thu Dec 14 13:45:09 UTC 2006

Tim wrote:
>>> You, now, have two SATA drives plugged in at the same time? For
>>> interest's sake, what happens if you swap their data connectors
>>> around? I would have expected something like that to be the
>>> solution.

Pedro Bezunartea Lopez:
> Thanks Tim. Yes, I have both drives plugged in at the same time. I
> haven't tried to swap the connectors yet. I wanted to have the new
> disk be sda because the old disk is failing and will probably be
> replaced soon, so I didn't want to have the new disk changing from sdb
> to sda when the bad disk fails. In any case, what would that test
> accomplish? it'll probably swap linux, and grub drive names.

I can't quite remember how this thread started out, but a second device
not being named what you want, or vice versa, commonly happens when you
add a drive, or remove one.  Plugging them in the other way changes
which is the first and second drive, and the device naming.  If you're
just trying to get things working, that's a simple fix so that you can
boot up, then reconfigure.