Mozilla vs IE CSS differences

Tim ignored_mailbox at yahoo.com.au
Thu Dec 14 14:31:27 UTC 2006

Gary Stainburn:
>>> If you look at http://www1.ringways.co.uk/images/moz_ie_diffs.png you'll
>>> see a screen grab of a web page I'm working on. The Mozilla view (left
>>> one) is how I want it, but the I.E. view (right one via VNC) is what I'm
>>> getting.

Mozilla rendering with a simple "rule", MSIE rendering with fancy 3D
chiselled cell borders...  Do you mean you want MSIE to render like
Mozilla, too?

Patrick
>> I'm assuming that it's the thickness of the borders in the IE table that
>> is the problem. Have you tried adding "border-collapse: collapse;" to
>> the css for your table?

Gary Stainburn:
> I have tried that.  I've also tried things like increasing the values for the
> border-spacing,  border, and even padding values at both the table and td/th
> level.

That's going the opposite way, surely?  If you wanted the Mozilla
affect, you don't want spacing between cells.

I don't have a Windows box handy to play with at the moment, but I seem
to recall that HTML like <table rules="all" border="1"> along with CSS
like table {border: thin solid #999;} was all that I did to get MSIE to
render very simply drawn table rules (as per Mozilla and its ilk).
Perhaps with th, td {margin: 0;} as well.

I'll have to check later, but that's the source code snippets from a
page that I'm sure rendered in that way when I was testing on different
browsers.

Have you read through the CSS specifications?