Monitor destroyed by install

Gordon Messmer yinyang at eburg.com
Thu Dec 14 23:09:35 UTC 2006

ols6000 at sbcglobal.net wrote:

> At 09:47 AM 12/12/2006, you wrote:
>> So it was, at one point, displaying an image, and then it suddenly
>> shut off?  That doesn't sound like a bad signal.  Bad sync rates won't
>> stress a monitor and then make it shut off, they'll never display
>> properly.
>
> No, it didn't just shut off. It displayed some moving speckles.

That also doesn't sound like a sync issue...  Actually it sounds like
heat.  I don't suppose you'd be willing to boot the installer and
connect the monitor up to see what sync rate it uses?  Because honestly,
that's what bugs me the most about this scenario.  Anaconda uses a very
low resolution/sync for its installation.  There's no way that it should
overdrive any monitor.

> No, I said the DVI input on the monitor works if I fool Windows XP into
> thinking there's a DVI input active. I do that by plugging a good
> monitor into the DVI, booting XP, then switching the cable. It looks
> like the Windows driver checks for the presence of a DVI monitor. I
> haven't checked the refresh rates, but the monitor gives an "out of
> range" message if you choose bad parameters.

That's exactly what it should do, and a good indication that it's not
possible for a bad signal to damage the monitor.