Audio input

Michael Wiktowy michael.wiktowy at gmail.com
Thu Dec 14 23:27:17 UTC 2006

On 12/14/06, Jeffrey Ross <jeff at bubble.org> wrote:
> The ultimate goal is to covert old analog recordings to digital, sounds
> easy enough and I figure I'll try the package "phonoripper"
> (http://klappnase.zexxo.net/phonoripper/index.html).
>
> My system as a 1/8 phono jack that is marked "line-in", connected the
> line output of my (known working) source to this port and I get nothing,
> of course I'm assuming I could turn up the volume of the capture port
> and hear something.  I would have thought I'd see a line-in tab or
> something similar.
> Ok, so what am I missing?

You set the in-line port as the capture device instead of the mic port?
You do this in the GUI mixer (after you have make them visible in the
mixer options) or you can use amixer or alsamixer on the command line.

Another program to try would be audacity. It is more of a general
audio editing tool but it is quite capable for capturing and  cleaning
up your analog audio.

/Mike