Audio input

Jeffrey Ross jeff at bubble.org
Fri Dec 15 01:36:49 UTC 2006

Jeffrey Ross wrote:
> The ultimate goal is to covert old analog recordings to digital,
> sounds easy enough and I figure I'll try the package "phonoripper"
> (http://klappnase.zexxo.net/phonoripper/index.html).
>
> My system as a 1/8 phono jack that is marked "line-in", connected the
> line output of my (known working) source to this port and I get
> nothing, of course I'm assuming I could turn up the volume of the
> capture port and hear something.  I would have thought I'd see a
> line-in tab or something similar.
>
> So I'm guessing that Fedora (this is core 6) is not properly
> recognizing my audio chipset fully.  The Motherboard is an Intel
> DG965RYCK and according to Intel's docs the audio subsystem consists
> of an Intel 82801HB ICH8 and a Sigmatel STAC9227 audio codec.
>
> Audio playback (e.g. mplayer output) seems to work fine, the audio
> configurator does recognize the audio chipset properly as:
>
>       Vendor:     Intel Corporation
>       Model:      82801H (ICH8 Family) HD Audio Controller
>       Module:     snd-hda-intel
>
> The PCM device shows 2 options, STAC92xx Analog or STAC92xx Digital.
> If I choose digital I don't get any sound (not surprising I'm using
> all analog audio devices) and analog works fine.
>
> under the Gnome/GStreamer-based volume control I have two tabs,
> playback which has only "volume" and one other tab, capture, this tab
> shows "Digital-1" for the slider nothing else.
> /etc/modprobe.conf (created at configure) shows the following:
>    alias snd-card-0 snd-hda-intel
>    options snd-card-0 index=0
>    options snd-hda-intel index=0
>    remove snd-hda-intel { /usr/sbin/alsactl store 0 >/dev/null 2>&1 ||
> : ; }; /sbin
>    /modprobe -r --ignore-remove snd-hda-intel
>

> lastly an lsmod | grep snd shows the following:
> snd_hda_intel          53725  4
> snd_hda_codec         223681  1 snd_hda_intel
> snd_seq_dummy          37317  0
> snd_seq_oss            69953  0
> snd_seq_midi_event     41921  1 snd_seq_oss
> snd_seq                96609  5
> snd_seq_dummy,snd_seq_oss,snd_seq_midi_event
> snd_seq_device         42581  3 snd_seq_dummy,snd_seq_oss,snd_seq
> snd_pcm_oss            81761  0
> snd_mixer_oss          51649  4 snd_pcm_oss
> snd_pcm               125129  3 snd_hda_intel,snd_hda_codec,snd_pcm_oss
> snd_timer              59849  2 snd_seq,snd_pcm
> snd                   101737  11
> snd_hda_intel,snd_hda_codec,snd_seq_oss,snd_seq,snd_seq_device,snd_pcm_oss,snd_mixer_oss,snd_pcm,snd_timer
>
> soundcore              44769  4 snd
> snd_page_alloc         44113  2 snd_hda_intel,snd_pcm
>

> Ok, so what am I missing?
>
> TIA, Jeff

Well I keep replying to my own posts, it appears as if I am running into
a problem with alsa, not sure if its a configuration issue or a bug,
hopefully its the former rather than the latter.

any of the alsa mixers display errors when attempting to start them.
Using "alsactl store" provides the following error "alsactl:
get_control:149: Cannot read control info '2,0,0,Capture Volume,0':
Invalid argument"

suggestions appreciated.

TIA Jeff