problem with samba...

Scott van Looy scott at ethosuk.org.uk
Fri Dec 15 10:45:41 UTC 2006

On Dec 14 David Timms did spake thusly:

>> /var/log/yum.log.1:Oct 27 08:38:57 Installed: samba.i386 3.0.23c-2
> What was the last known working normally date ?

Way after that. However, I'd not restarted it in ages, so it could be
that...

>> write list = +users
>> This just gives me "permission denied" when I try and write...
> So what was the message before ?

the same error with +users as with @users
It's as if samba can't find the group...

>> This didn't work either. Permission denied. The directory in question has
>> 775 perms.
> owner:group ?
> selinux perms ?
> $ ls -laZ

SELinux isn't running and all permissions are r+w for both the user
(nobody) and the group (users) in that partition (it's a software/video
share)

>> Why would a group created using system-config-users a) not show up when I
>> type "groups" and am a member of it and
> On my machine:
> $ groups
> davidt

On my machine the "users" group has magically reappeared. Oddness ;)

> $ grep davidt /etc/group
> davidt:x:500:
> vmware-users:x:501:davidt
>
> This appears to be the same that you are seeing.
>
> b) not appear to samba, the
>> filesystem appears to see it fine...and it appears in /etc/groups and
>> /etc/gshadow
> If the group ID is <500 then
>  it would only be shown if you show system accounts, or v-v.

Yeah, I know. The group ID is over 500 so should (and now does) show up
when I do "group", maybe it took a while for the system to notice the new
"users" group somehow.

> On my PC, cat /etc/group|grep users
> users:x:100:test,devel

cat /etc/group | grep users
pppusers:x:44:
popusers:x:45:
slipusers:x:46:
users:x:558:scott

> Perhaps there is a selinux tie up with the groupid ? Easy to temporarily turn
> of selinux in case it is involved. If it works, I think the answer is to
> label the smb share as type share {I forget the exact xyz_t}. Google selinux
> site:.redhat.com
> maybe:
> http://www.redhat.com/archives/fedora-selinux-list/2006-February/msg00162.html

I'm not actually using SELinux...it's off by default.

So. My group is now showing up correctly as a group in the filesystem and
when I type "groups".

However. Using the group "users"

drwxrwxr-x  18 nobody users     680 Dec 13 08:43 download/

if smb.conf contains
write list = @users
force group = users
I get an error upon connection, "No such group"
if I comment out the force group bit
I'm left with
write list = @users
;force group = users
I get permission denied

I'm also in the "wheel" group. If I change "users" to "wheel" for both
"write list" and "force group" then it works as expected
write list = @wheel
force group = wheel

I'm still not much more the wiser...is this a bug?
--
Scott van Looy - email:me at ethosuk.org.uk | web:www.ethosuk.org.uk
site:www.freakcity.net - the in place for outcasts since 2003