FC5 picks up my USB Camera not sound

Nigel Henry cave.dnb at tiscali.fr
Fri Dec 15 12:06:14 UTC 2006

On Friday 15 December 2006 08:10, Hadders wrote:
> dexter wrote:

> >> A quick look at lsmod shows (cut down)
> >>
> >> snd_pcm                88005  4
> >> snd_usb_audio,snd_emu10k1,snd_ac97_codec,snd_pcm_oss
> >> snd_hwdep              14149  3 snd_emux_synth,snd_usb_audio,snd_emu10k1
> >> snd                    59973  18
> >> snd_emux_synth,snd_seq_virmidi,snd_usb_audio,snd_emu10k1,
> >>

> >> I'm thinking snd_pcm is important, but the usb_audio is ahead of the
> >> emu10k1
> >>
> >> Not sure what to do..
> >
> > me thinks you do this in /etc/modprobe.conf
> > alias snd-card-1 snd-emu10k1
> > options snd-card-1 index=1
> > should make it always first card.
> >
> > ...dex
>
> Actually a quick look in there shows.
>
> alias snd-card-0 snd-emu10k1
> options snd-card-0 index=0
> options snd-emu10k1 index=0
> remove snd-emu10k1 { /usr/sbin/alsactl store 0 >/dev/null 2>&1 || : ; };
> /sbin/modprobe -r --ignore-remove snd-emu10k1

That's correct for snd-emu10k1.  You will need to add an alias, and an options
line in /etc/modprobe.conf if your having problems with snd-usb-audio being
set as card0. Check this.
cat /proc/asound/cards
You will probably see snd-usb-audio (webcam) set as card0, and snd-emu10k1
(your actual soundcard) set as card1.

Add the following lines to /etc/modprobe.conf while su'ed to root and with a
text editor (gedit, kwrite or whichever you prefer).

alias snd-card-1 snd-usb-audio
options snd-card-1 index=1
options snd-usb-audio index=1

Save the changes, and exit the test editor, and the shell.

Reboot, and see it if the cards are loaded in the correct order now,
cat /proc/asound/cards

Strange you're having this problem on FC5. I've got a usb-midi-keyboard that I
used to have this problem on earlier versions of FC, but I think since FC3
the problem seemed to be resolved without having to set index options for
snd-usb-audio, and snd-usb-audio is being set as card1 without any entries
for it in /etc/modprobe.conf.

Nigel.