KDE Display config and Screensaver???

Deepak Shrestha d88pak at gmail.com
Fri Dec 15 13:54:20 UTC 2006

On 12/15/06, Nigel Henry <cave.dnb at tiscali.fr> wrote:
> On Friday 15 December 2006 08:17, Deepak Shrestha wrote:
> > Hi,
> >
> > (1) In my recently installed and updated FC5 and using KDE, I cannot
> > make my screensaver work. I can choose the screensaver and test it but
> > when I leave the monitor for certain time, only big X (or some
> > different random size X) is displayed instead of screensaver I
> > selected.
> >
> > (2) No matter what I do the screen still goes to blank (power saving
> > mode) which I don't want. By default the power control was set off in
> > KDE Display control but monitor still goes to power saviing mode. From
> > the "Enable Display Power Management" and set all the sliders back to
> > zero. Still monitor goes to power saving mode.
> >
> > What I wanted to do is
> > Turn off monitor power management and
> > Activate the Screensaver I selected.
> >
> > How can I do that?
> >
> > Thanks
>
> Hi Deepak. To stop the monitor going into standby, and I presume this is on a
> PC, not a laptop, you can comment out the DPMS line in /etc/X11/xorg.conf.
>
> su to root in a terminal, open a text editor, gedit, kwrite, or something,
> then go to /etc/X11/xorg.conf .  You'll find the "dpms" line in the monitor
> section. Just put a  #  at the start of the line. Save the change, and exit
> the text editor.
>
> ctrl+alt+backspace  will shutdown the Xserver, and bring you back to your
> log-in screen. Login, and the monitor should now stay up.
>
> Not sure about the odd large  "X" screensaver. I too have seen that and
> sometimes when I move the mouse it goes away to be replaced by another
> screensaver, presumably the default KDE one.
>
> Not sure about your post about the 50hz refresh rate. I did read that LCD
> screens run at 60hz. Perhaps if your using a crt screen, X is wrongly
> identifying it as an lcd one.
>
> While your in xorg.conf sorting out the dpms thing, check whether you have 2
> lines in the monitor section showing something like, and this is mine on FC5
> below.
>
> HorizSync     30.0 - 92.0
> VertRefresh  48.0 - 120.0
>
> Don't just use those values above. You need to check your monitors values, but
> those above set my Compaq P700 CRT monitors to 68.6kHz, and 85Hz at a
> resolution of 1024x768.   (17" monitor).
>
> dpms=display power management signalling
>
> Hope some of that helps.
>
> Nigel.

Hi Nigel,

Thanks for the info. This is desktop computer and I am using 17"
samsung SyncMaster 753DFX CRT monitor. Previously I noticed that
fedora used to set it to 85Hz at 1024x768. I guess internally its set
to right values because I don't have flickering problem in my monitor.
Only KDE is reporting a wrong value. May be its just have something to
do with KDE Desktop and Power management feature.

Thanks again