How to view what hardware has been detected in FC6

Pedro Bezunartea Lopez pedro at bezunartea.net
Fri Dec 15 18:33:05 UTC 2006

John Bowden escribió:
> My original posting was more of an introduction and explanation about my
> Linux
> knowledge as well as the original question as to how to find out what
> hardware FC had found and correctly diagnosed. I don't mind which method I
> use. I want to learn the command line as I think its more powerful and
> gives
> more options. The more I use it the easier it will become. After getting
> FC
> installed, not quite the way I wanted (Primary / secondary hard drive
> problems, but I can live with that for now,) I want to get all my hardware
> and peripherals working. The first step being to find out what FC had
> found.
> I now have a few of the GUI hardware browsers installed and running.
> Thanks
> for the help so far. I must say I have been lurking around the list for a
> few
> weeks now even though I had not had the time to get FC up and running on
> my
> secondary drive and it does seem a very helpful and friendly list.
> --
> registered Linux user number 414240
> Guy Fawkes the only person to enter the Parliament with honest intentions
> and
> he was going to blow them up !

Hi John,

One of the most useful commands to check what hardware is being detected
at boot time in your system is "dmesg". As it says in the man page "The
program  helps  users to print out their bootup messages". You should run
it right after the system has booted, as the kernel ring buffer may be
filled with other kernel information.

For hardware browser, hwbroser is a GUI application that might be useful
too. Depending on which hardware you are looking for, you may want the
following commands:
- lspci
- lsusb
- lshal