Problem getting X up on a Dell Dimension 2400 with Intel 845G

Thomas Shubert tomshubert at gmail.com
Fri Dec 15 23:36:52 UTC 2006

I have a Dell Dimension 2400 that I though I would screw around and setup
Fedora 6 on to learn Linux.  Well, I cannot get X to start.  It complains:

(==) Using config file: "etc/X11/xorg.conf"
(EE) I810(0): No video BIOS modes for chosen depth.
(EE) Screen(s) found, but none have a usable configuration

I have seen other posts regarding this error and have taken corrective
action to no avail.  I upgraded the Dell's BIOS to A05 and I change the
shared video RAM to 8 MB.  I then ran system-config-display but it does not
work.

Any guidance would be most appreciated.

Tom Shubert
Tom Shubert Computer Consulting, *Providing IT Solutions and Support Since
1982*
YourWEB Services, *Providing Internet Technology Consulting Since 1994*
R-Tech Computers, *Vice President, Technology Opportunities*

e-mail: tom at tomshubert.com
cell: 818.635.6777

fax: 818.475.1442

NOTICE: This communication contains information which is confidential.  If
you are not the intended recipient of this communication, please delete and
destroy all copies.  If you are the intended recipient of this
communication, you should not copy, disclose or distribute this
communication without the authority of Tom Shubert Computer Consulting,
YourWEB Services, and R-Tech Computers (the Businesses).  Any views
expressed in this communication are those of the individual sender, except
where the sender specifically states them to be the views of the Businesses.
Except as required by law, the Businesses do not represent, warrant or
guarantee that the integrity of this communication has been maintained nor
that the communication is free of errors, virus, interception or
interference