Javascript fails

Gene Heskett gene.heskett at verizon.net
Sat Dec 16 01:31:27 UTC 2006

On Friday 15 December 2006 14:03, Nigel Henry wrote:
>On Friday 15 December 2006 18:16, Gene Heskett wrote:
>> On Friday 15 December 2006 11:56, Scott van Looy wrote:
>> >Today Gene Heskett did spake thusly:

>> >Firefox's javascript is part of the firefox package - provide us with
>> > a link to whatever it is you're trying to view that's not working?
>>
>> Damn, I reached up to click on the tab where it was and hit too close
>> to the closetab button.  Now the only one I can see with a google
>> search is Gerd Knorrs patch at http://lkml.org/lkml/2005/3/8/123, and
>> that whole page Just Works(TM).  Sorry.
>>
>> This is related to making my pcHDTV-3000 work with an ATSC signal.  It
>> works fine with an analog NTSC, but I turned on the digital on ch6
>> tuesday evening and would like to be able to monitor it here at home.
>
>Gene. I looked on the pchdtv site out of interest. There is a post on
> page 2 of the "General pcHDTV topics" forum where some guy has digital
> working, but not analog. It may be worth looking at that post to see
> what modules he has loaded for dvb, and comparing them to your lsmod.
>http://www.pchdtv.com/forum/

Yes, been there, absorbed some of it, picked up a few tools thanks to
links posted there.

>You say also that you're only 3 miles away from the transmitter. I know
> that FM radio is more directional than AM, and no doubt digital TV
> transmissions are the same compared to analog, and just 3 miles away
> brings you down to a very narrow angle to centre on, but perhaps I just
> don't know what I'm talking about. There's a link on the site for
> checking out your antenna. http://www.antennaweb.org/aw/welcome.aspx

My antenna is rotatable, and although the rotator control isn't hooked up
yet, the antenna, a 125 mile rated rat shack all band model, is actually
pointed within 5 degrees of the tx site, its visible from my front porch
or roof, where the antenna is mounted.  This is certifiably a wet a
finger and hold it up to see which side dries fastest as a check to see
if we're on the air site.  The ch5 signal at the f59 into the back of the
dish receiver is nearly a volt, the signal degrades very little when I
turn the dish rx on, thereby opening the direct circuit.  But that (5) is
the analog channel for us, 6 is the digital.

>You might also try on the video4linux list. video4linux-list at redhat.com
>
>Nice to see that there is a TV card specifically for linux.
>
>I'm only using analog TV through a Hauppauge Win TV EXpress card. I've
> had some problems setting it up on various distros, but all in all it
> works ok.

I see that they have a newer card now, the pcHDTV-5500, which is being
offered at USD $129 & change.  I've has this -3000 now for at least 2
years in anticipation of finally having a digital signal within reach.

One of the things I'm not seeing in the dmesg when I insert the cx88-dvb
module, is the loading of the cards firmware, without which its dead in
the water.  FC6 does not have a /usr/lib/hotplug tree, so I think my
making one and putting the firmware there isn't correct for FC6.

So that leads to the question:

Do I move it to /etc/firmware, or to
the /lib/modules/`uname -r`/kernel/drivers/firmware,
or to /lib/firmware?

So I copied those 3 files to all 3 places, but apparently w/o any luck,
from messages because of a modprobe -r cx88-dvb:
Dec 15 19:49:57 coyote kernel: cx8802_unregister_driver() ->unregistering
driver type=dvb
Dec 15 19:49:57 coyote kernel: CORE cx88[0]: subsystem: 7063:3000, board:
pcHDTV HD3000 HDTV [card=22]
Dec 15 19:49:57 coyote kernel: ACPI: PCI interrupt for device 0000:01:07.2
disabled

And  then a modprobe cx88-dvb:

Dec 15 19:49:59 coyote kernel: cx2388x cx88-mpeg Driver Manager version
0.0.6 loaded
Dec 15 19:49:59 coyote kernel: cx88[0]/2: cx2388x 8802 Driver Manager
Dec 15 19:49:59 coyote kernel: ACPI: PCI Interrupt 0000:01:07.2[A] -> Link
[APC2] -> GSI 17 (level, high) -> IRQ 20
Dec 15 19:49:59 coyote kernel: cx88[0]/2: found at 0000:01:07.2, rev: 5,
irq: 20, latency: 32, mmio: 0xeb000000
Dec 15 19:49:59 coyote kernel: cx2388x dvb driver version 0.0.6 loaded
Dec 15 19:49:59 coyote kernel: cx8802_register_driver() ->registering
driver type=dvb access=shared
Dec 15 19:49:59 coyote kernel: CORE cx88[0]: subsystem: 7063:3000, board:
pcHDTV HD3000 HDTV [card=22]
Dec 15 19:49:59 coyote kernel: cx88[0]/2: cx2388x based dvb card
Dec 15 19:49:59 coyote kernel: DVB: registering new adapter (cx88[0]).
Dec 15 19:49:59 coyote kernel: DVB: registering frontend 0 (Oren OR51132
VSB/QAM Frontend)...

But there is no joy when running xine, its a 404 for the channels.conf for
the dvb button.

Worse, I did have the dtvscan and dtvsignal utils working but failing to
find any signals but now they cannot even open a device.

I've modified this kernels .config slightly, and its rebuilding again, so
I'll send this & come back later after I've rebooted again.

--
Cheers, Gene
-Ed Howdershelt (Author)