WIndows remote printer under CUPS [FC5]

Kevin J. Cummings cummings at kjchome.homeip.net
Sun Dec 17 02:47:52 UTC 2006

I have an application specific failure.

I have added a Windows remote printer to my CUPs setup on FC5
(up-to-date).  It is a Dell-720 printer (one of the ones they were
giving away).  It is configured using z600cups-1.0-1.i386.rpm  and
z600llpddk-2.0-1.i386.rpm from Lexmark.  They work fine with the
printer.  The printer is using the Lexmark z600 CUPS printer driver.

I can print a test page.  The printer shows up in all of the application
"print" boxes as a choice.  I can print fine from Thunderbird, and Acroread.

I also have a couple of XFig figures that I use regularly.  Yesterday, I
tried to modify a few and print them to the Dell720 printer.  They stay
in the queue and the CUPS status page just says "stopped".  Restarting
them from the CUPS administration page doesn't help.  How can I figure
out *WHY* they are stopped and *how* to fix them?

Best I can figure is that xfig "pipes" its printer output through "lpr
-PDell720", but I can do that too without any problems....

--
Kevin J. Cummings
kjchome at rcn.com
cummings at kjchome.homeip.net