RPM weirdness

Alex White ethericalzen at gmail.com
Sun Dec 17 14:25:27 UTC 2006

Philip Prindeville wrote:
> I'm a flailing at cluefulness here.  Maybe someone can set me straight.
>
> I run "yum" nightly (as as service), but I see a lot of "*.rpmnew" files
> being left around.
>
> What's most bizarre is that the original RPM files haven't been changed,
> and often the two files have the same size, contents (and hence MD5
> signature), permissions, ownership, etc.  Even the same file modification
> date in most cases.
>
> So why do they get left behind?
>
> # cd /etc/security
> # ls -ltr chroot*
> -rw-r--r-- 1 root root 82 Aug  1 05:18 chroot.conf.rpmnew
> -rw-r--r-- 1 root root 82 Aug  1 05:18 chroot.conf
> # diff -c chroot.conf.rpmnew chroot.conf
> # mv chroot.conf.rpmnew chroot.conf
> #
>

> Thanks,
>
> -Philip

RPM is trying to not trample over configuration files that you have
modified. For instance, if you've changed chroot.conf in some way then
rpm will set the new configuration file in place with a .rpmnew,
flagging that 1. there is a new file from the update and 2. you may want
to look at this becaues your current config may now be broken or have
new options available you'll want to look at.

HTH,

Alex White