How to install Java/Frefox in FC6 -

Les hlhowell at pacbell.net
Mon Dec 18 08:18:43 UTC 2006

On Mon, 2006-12-18 at 14:11 +1030, Tim wrote:
> On Sun, 2006-12-17 at 11:49 -0500, Ric Moore wrote:
> > bookmark this site, it's invaluable. Just follow the steps, use cut
> > n paste, and you'll have to right on the button.
> > http://www.stanton-finley.net
> >
> > This one is a keeper, the steps for FC5 are good for FC6.
>
> I tried that with FC6, just a few days ago.  The Sun site had moved onto
> Java 1.6.0, which didn't work (installed, no errors, just doesn't appear
> to work when I tested it).  I've just had another bash, making sure I
> got all the new paths right.  The Java test page (*) doesn't work with
> Java 1.6.0 (no results are shown, it's blank in the test part), but I
> don't know if that's just the test page.  I don't know a site using Java
> to test it with, but the games I tried on the Sun site didn't work.
>
> Today, when I tried the link from the Stanton-Finley site, Sun didn't
> redirect me to the latest, but stayed at the release number the link was
> intended for (1.5.x).  It's now jre1.5.0_10 instead of jre1.5.0_8, so
> the paths in the examples to copy and paste need correcting.  That done,
> it worked, but the test page wants to install a JRE plug in, even though
> it's apparently working, and tells me I'm using an old version.  The
> games apparently work (not that *I* can play them).
>
> Anybody care to make suggestions?  Stick with the old version, solutions
> to make the current version work?  It was the "current" release version
> I tried, not the latest, not yet release-version, version.
>
> * Java test page: <http://www.java.com/en/download/help/testvm.xml>

I had difficult problems as well, but I am running i-586 fc6.  My
solution was to link the plugins directly into .../firefox...../plugins
In my case I have firefox in /usr/lib/firefox and java as /usr/java, so
the link is:

/usr/lib/firefox1.5.0_09/plugins/libjavaplugin_oji.so
-> /usr/java/jre1.5.0_09/plugin/i386/ns7/libjavaplugin_oji.so

I also found that /usr/bin/firefox was pointing to an older version.  I
totally removed the older version and copied the firefox executable
from /usr/lib/firefox1.5.0_09/ into that location to replace the older
binary executable.  This cleared up the problem as I recall.  I wish now
that I had taken better noted on the many attempts to get Java running.
I have not yet gotten js to install from rpm.  I did see a link earlier
and saved it, so I will have to try that next.  By the way, if you want
the developer kit, note that sun says to load the developer kit and NOT
the runtime environment.  Apparently the developer kit is not up to the
latest of the runtime packages and there may be conflicts.

Regards,
Les H