freeze / lock up when plugging in any USB device

Cooper Strange fedoralist at chinacoop.net
Mon Dec 18 09:10:50 UTC 2006

I did a couple more experiments, but plugging in a USB media device
still locks up the computer. I tried some new things to see what
would happen.

I tried my USB devices in Knoppix to make sure there was nothing wrong
with the hardware either in the computer or my USB devices. Knoppix
for some reason did not recognize my multi-card reader, which worried
me at first that something might be wrong in the computer's hardware.
Then, though, all was normal when I booted up Knoppix with an
external hard drive.

So, I tried more experiments in Fedora 6. To have USB devices mounted
as the user's, I usually plug them in once logged into the user's
GUI. That was when I had the problem. So, I tried booting up with
them already plugged in.

With a multi-card reader plugged in:
Funny enough, once I logged in, there was nothing there. Usually, if
you boot up with USB media plugged in, it will be mounted, though
under root, I think. I do not remember. If I booted up with the card
reader plugged in but no cards in it, no problems, but once in the
GUI, if I plugged in a card, nothing would happen. If, once I was in
the GUI, I plugged in the card reader, even without a card in it,
everything froze up, as before. It did not even need a card in it to
lock everything up.

With an external hard drive:
Mostly the same as the card reader, but since I knew the device name
for the external hard drive, I tried a couple different tests. I
booted up with it plugged in, and then once in the GUI, from the
terminal, I was able to mount the device manually.

So, I can now get to data on my external hard drives and USB flash
drives, but unless I knew the device name for all the little ports on
the multi-card reader, am still at a loss there. I can only plug
things in, boot up, then manually mount as root. Then, I guess, I
could use chown to change the owner to the user so the user could use
all the files and write to them.

So, does anyone know what the bug is here? Why does everything lock up
if I plug in USB media once in the GUI?