t-bird fonts

Kenny Gow kgfedora at swbell.net
Mon Dec 18 17:40:27 UTC 2006

Gene Heskett wrote:
> On Monday 18 December 2006 11:39, Dotan Cohen wrote:
>> On 11/12/06, Gene Heskett <gene.heskett at verizon.net> wrote:
>>> Greetings;
>>>
>>> Currently using the latest tbird for FC5, generally it works but with
>>> one big gotcha.
>>>
>>> I have miss-read the subject line on several occasions because the
>>> font use to display the Subject: line can best be described as the
>>> bold, blocky version of butt-ugly.ttf.  To me, its less readable than
>>> almost any variation of the 5x7 font that used to be std on pin
>>> pounder printers 20 years ago.
>>>
>>> Can someone please tell me where to effect a change in this particular
>>> font?  Please?
>> Gene, I don't have TB installed right now, but I remember from when I
>> did use it that in Edit->Preferences-> ??? You can change the fonts
>> for all the individual place (message pane, folders pane, etc...). It
>> does _not_ use the default font for the system.
>>
>> Also, from experience, if you want a font that looks good at small
>> (6-8px) sizes then use Microsoft's Tahoma. It's great for email
>> clients.
>>
> I've tried, but nothing seems to effect that ugly, super bold, almost
> unreadable font it uses for the subject line.  All the rest I've been
> able to change to suit.
>
> Thanks Dotan

Seems you have to change the Thunderbird chrome CSS

To change the subject line font to normal from bold,
see this page:

http://www.ts-cyberia.net/thunderbird.html#userchrome

It shows that this CSS code:

/* Change the font weight of the value of the subject line in a
message header from bold to normal */
.subjectvalue {
font-weight: normal !important;
}

will do it if you add it to your Thunderbird profile's
userChrome.css file.

--Kenny