No monitor - HW problem

Edward Dekkers edward at tdcs.com.au
Mon Dec 18 23:52:03 UTC 2006

  > So the m/b could be at fault? I doubt that it could be the memory or
> processor, as they are not responsible for feeding the monitor. The
> BIOS it could be, though, as it is responsible for EnergyStar and the
> like.

I've been following the thread and agreeing with the suggestions made
but let me just jump in here.

Do not discount the memory and CPU.

The reason your are not seeing a picture is because your motherboard
doesn't seem to be initializing the AGP slot properly. HOWEVER, if your
memory or CPU are faulty, the motherboard won't even get to the point
where it can try to initialize AGP. The motherboard's BIOS WILL NOT WORK
without memory or a CPU so please don't ignore it could be one of these.

Even checking the power pack voltages would be a good thing to do.

I'm suspecting the mainboard at this stage also (normally the BIOS beeps
if memory is faulty or Video Card is faulty, and I haven't seen a CPU go
bad yet), but this is a computer which is only the sum of it's parts.
Any part could be at fault.

>> One option might be to transfer the hard drive to another machine, boot
>> it up, and install SSH, then transfer it back. Otherwise you're probably
>> best off using the machine for parts.
>
> Good idea, and wholy possible. Assuming that Fedora will boot with
> radically different hardware (AMD instead of Intel processor, 1GB RAM
> vs 256MB, etc...)
>
> Thanks.
>
> Dotan Cohen

Regards,