How to install Java/Frefox in FC6 -

Ric Moore wayward4now at gmail.com
Tue Dec 19 04:13:36 UTC 2006

On Mon, 2006-12-18 at 07:41 -0500, Bob Goodwin wrote:
> Tim wrote:

> > Today, when I tried the link from the Stanton-Finley site, Sun didn't
> > redirect me to the latest, but stayed at the release number the link was
> > intended for (1.5.x).  It's now jre1.5.0_10 instead of jre1.5.0_8, so
> > the paths in the examples to copy and paste need correcting.  That done,
> > it worked, but the test page wants to install a JRE plug in, even though
> > it's apparently working, and tells me I'm using an old version.  The
> > games apparently work (not that *I* can play them).

Mine did the very same thing until I closed my browser and started it up
again, then I passed with flying colors. I use the jre...bin file
instead of the rpm. As I've written, I stick it in /opt. Then I chmod
755 the file (as root), execute it, it unpacks into it's directory and
then I link that directory to /opt/java. My links in the mozilla /
firefox and ~/.mozilla all point
to: /opt/java/plugin/i386/ns7/libjavaplugin_oji.so

Next time I update I need only change one link. Nifty... works. I just
don't trust java and rpm in the same breath, not yet. Ric
http://www.sourceforge.net/projects/oar
http://www.wayward4now.net