buying a 56K modem...

Ric Moore wayward4now at gmail.com
Tue Dec 19 04:33:02 UTC 2006

On Mon, 2006-12-18 at 20:09 -0500, Gene Heskett wrote:
> On Monday 18 December 2006 19:31, Ale Alf wrote:
> >Hi, i need to buy a 56K modem, and of course it should work on linux.
> >Enyone can sugest me   some of them?
>
> yes, internal ones will generally be softmodems, with driver software that
> ONLY runs on windows.  So stay with the external modems that hook up with
> a serial cable, they are forced to have the smarts inside them.
Back when I had my 8 line BBS, someone donated about 3 externals that
were winmodems!! Blew my mind. So in the init string I disabled
compression and they worked just fine at 9600 baud. <shudders> I was
allowing users to access my linux system running command line, no one
was typing faster than 9600 and it wasn't too big a deal!

We had a lightning storm and there was this ball of light that
S L O W L Y drifted down the telco line to the modem. I were all stunned
to see it, then it clicked inside my head;

"U-N-P-L-U-G  T-H-E  M-O-D-E-M !!!"

The ball of light was 2 nanoseconds ahead of me. It entered the back of
the modem and all the lights flashed several times, then went out. Had
it been internal, the show would have been over for the entire machine.
Never seen anything like it before or since. I am a true believer in
external anything plugged into a phone or cable line.
"Just call me Sparky", Ric

http://www.sourceforge.net/projects/oar
http://www.wayward4now.net