buying a 56K modem...

Ric Moore wayward4now at gmail.com
Tue Dec 19 04:40:58 UTC 2006

On Mon, 2006-12-18 at 16:37 -0900, gary wrote:
> On Mon, 2006-12-18 at 19:31 -0500, Ale Alf wrote:
> > Hi, i need to buy a 56K modem, and of course it should work on linux.
> > Enyone can sugest me   some of them?
> >
> The last time I used it - the U.S. Robotics 5610B - worked great with
> linux. You might need to download a driver to make it work.

If you gotta dnload a driver, it's not the real deal. A self contained
modem will only need to be plugged into a serial port and the correct
init string installed where-ever-in-the-hell you install them nowadays.
It used to be a simple edit of /etc/uugetty/stty-S0 or something like
that, I fergotten how in my dotage. Some gui will probably do the job,
beats the hell outa me. <grins>
"Ex-master of init-strings", Ric

http://www.sourceforge.net/projects/oar
http://www.wayward4now.net