does logwatch work on FC6?

Tim ignored_mailbox at yahoo.com.au
Tue Dec 19 07:58:02 UTC 2006

On Tue, 2006-12-19 at 17:09 +1030, Tim wrote:
> Logwatch hasn't done a thing on two independent, non-update, FC6
> installs I've tried here.  Even on boxes that have been left running
> for more than 24 hours, straight.  Yes, I have thought of the
> obvious...

But, apparently, not the not-so-obvious:  I'd used that appalling "neat"
tool to customise the network setup for these boxes using DHCP.  Apart
from mangling the local loopback address lines in the hosts file,
experiments based on observing something *else* about whether I needed
to set a hostname or FQDN in some places of neat, depending on what I
was seeing, led me down the garden path.  neat wanted just a hostname,
not a FQDN, and sendmail was failing to send mail to the FQDN it had
tried to construct (e.g. like hostname.lan.example.com.lan.example.com).

The bit that led me astray was trying to customise GDM.  It had an
option to display the FQDN if you use %h instead of %n in the Welcome
string.  I'd used %h and fiddled with network addresses until I saw a
FQDN appear.  But now that I've done a bit of testing, it always
displays the hostname, no matter what you try (i.e. incorrect
documentation).  It didn't show what I thought was a FQDN, there, until
I mis-set the hostname to look like one.

Now, I've fixed the addresses (used "hostnames" where neat asks for
them), sendmail works, but GDM isn't quite working like I'd hope.