How to install Java/Frefox in FC6 -

Gene Heskett gene.heskett at verizon.net
Tue Dec 19 10:48:57 UTC 2006

On Monday 18 December 2006 23:13, Ric Moore wrote:
>On Mon, 2006-12-18 at 07:41 -0500, Bob Goodwin wrote:
>> Tim wrote:
>> > Today, when I tried the link from the Stanton-Finley site, Sun
>> > didn't redirect me to the latest, but stayed at the release number
>> > the link was intended for (1.5.x).  It's now jre1.5.0_10 instead of
>> > jre1.5.0_8, so the paths in the examples to copy and paste need
>> > correcting.  That done, it worked, but the test page wants to
>> > install a JRE plug in, even though it's apparently working, and
>> > tells me I'm using an old version.  The games apparently work (not
>> > that *I* can play them).
>
>Mine did the very same thing until I closed my browser and started it up
>again, then I passed with flying colors. I use the jre...bin file
>instead of the rpm. As I've written, I stick it in /opt. Then I chmod
>755 the file (as root), execute it, it unpacks into it's directory and
>then I link that directory to /opt/java. My links in the mozilla /
>firefox and ~/.mozilla all point
>to: /opt/java/plugin/i386/ns7/libjavaplugin_oji.so
>
>Next time I update I need only change one link. Nifty... works. I just
>don't trust java and rpm in the same breath, not yet. Ric

Thats a good idea Ric, and one that I did on FC2, because everytime it
installs a new version of FF, it first nukes the old ones whole damned
tree!  So all those plugins you spent days running down on the net are
gone like a fart in a whirlwind.

So I finally made a /usr/libs/plugins dir, stuffed everything into it, and
then did an lndir on the plugins dirs of the rest of the browsers.  Same
idea as yours basicly and they didn't get blown away everytime.

I think I'm about to do the same now with this FC6 install.  I had FF go
away on me yesterday while trying to a realplayer file, but this was
after it had been to another site that went thru all the motions except
actually showing me anything but a black screen in the playback window.
I let it loop thru that about 4 times before I canceled.  Is there a new,
incompatible realplayer format in the wild?  I have 10GOLD installed (I
think), ahh, no it says realplayer 9???????  WTH? Its from
mplayerplug-in-3.31, and the files in the 10GOLD release are considerably
different, as if they aren't merged.  But if I run it from the kmenu, I
get the one I just installed.  But FF isn't seeing it & I've restarted it
several times.

Can someone help me sort this basket of rattlesnakes?

--
Cheers, Gene
-Ed Howdershelt (Author)