Lost Gnome after upgrade to Kernel-2.6.18-1.2868.fc6

Jim Cornette fc-cornette at insight.rr.com
Tue Dec 19 11:55:27 UTC 2006

Ed Gurski wrote:
> On Tue, 2006-12-19 at 03:45 -0500, fedora-list-request at redhat.com wrote:
>
>> Date: Tue, 19 Dec 2006 03:41:34 -0500
>> From: Ed Gurski <ed at gurski.com>
>> Subject: Lost Gnome after upgrade to Kernel-2.6.18-1.2868.fc6
>> To: fedora-list at redhat.com
>>
>> I updated to Kernel-2.6.18-1.2868.fc6 and now I no longer have Gnome. My
>> login screen  no longer lists Gnome as an option.  I was able to logon
>> into KDE and saw that Gnome was unchecked with Software updater? I ran
>> rpm -qa | grep gnome and saw the packages installed, but the Software
>> updater says otherwise.
>>
>> On my other systems (4) I was able to install the new kernel without the
>> same problem... I also noticed that if I ran rpm -qa |grep gnome-d | wc
>> -l  the working systems have 54 packages and the fouled-up system only
>> has 38.. Has anyone else experienced this?
>>
>> I let the Software Update install Gnome again and will restart the GUI.
>>
> SOLVED
>
> Well re-installing GNOME solved the problem, but I'm stil not sure what
> caused it in the first place......

I remove gnome-screensaver which causes GNOME not to be installed in the
view of the software installer. GNOME is still installed minus a few
components that were removed intentionally. I guess if some components
which would be pulled in using a group install are triggering the group
listings to show that they are not present. This is regardless if every
other package from the group is installed.

What components were pulled in when you "reinstalled" GNOME?

Jim

--
All progress is based upon a universal innate desire of every organism
to live beyond its income.