package conflicts while trying to perform the daily update

Jim Cornette fc-cornette at insight.rr.com
Tue Dec 19 12:07:58 UTC 2006

Tarhon-Onu Victor wrote:

> Transaction Check Error:   file /usr/bin/pdftoppm from install of
> poppler-utils-0.5.4-3.fc6 conflicts with file from package
> xpdf-utils-3.01-26.fc6
>   file /usr/share/man/man1/pdftoppm.1.gz from install of
> poppler-utils-0.5.4-3.fc6 conflicts with file from package
> xpdf-utils-3.01-26.fc6
>
>     I just executed "yum -y update" as I usually do from time to time on
> my workstation from home. My local fedora updates mirror is identical to
> the one from download.fedora.redhat.com. Is there anyone else having the
> same problem?
>
>     The installed poppler-utils package is version 0.5.4-2, and
> xpdf-utils is 3.01-26. For some reason 'xpdf-*' should have appeared on
> the updates FTP site in the same time with poppler-utils (I think), or
> poppler is not packaged right...

I guess xpdf-utils and poppler-utils provide the same elements which
xpdf use. The most common way that people are overcoming the problem is
to rpm -e xpdf-utils --nodeps and then running the updater to
successfully update the system.

I removed xpdf and xpdf-utils via yum, updated the system and then
reinstalled pdf. It is now satisfied by poppler-utils and will reinstall
without the need for xpdf-utils.

There is an open bug report for this problem and they are working on a
resolution I believe.

Jim

--
Fortune finishes the great quotations, #2

	If at first you don't succeed, think how many people
	you've made happy.