Caching updates locally

Benjamin Franz snowhare at nihongo.org
Tue Dec 19 16:12:10 UTC 2006

On Mon, 30 Oct 2006, Joe Tseng wrote:

> I want to be able to cache yum updates locally so when I build machines via
> kickstart I can have them update more quickly from a local server.  I can't
> seem to recall how to do this using wget, and googling hasn't turned anything
> up yet.  Does anyone know of some page that describes how to do this?  Thx.

My personal hack is set yum to cache (add 'keepcache=1' in /etc/yum.conf)
before updating the first machine I build on a new distro. Then when I
build the second or later machines I tarball up /var/cache/yum and drop it
into the new machine before starting the first update. It isn't pretty,
but as long you are working inside a single architecture it works like a
champ.

--
Benjamin Franz

"It is moronic to predict without first establishing an error rate
  for a prediction and keeping track of one’s past record of accuracy."
                     -- Nassim Nicholas Taleb, Fooled By Randomness