boot USB errors

Jim Cornette fc-cornette at insight.rr.com
Tue Dec 19 22:38:04 UTC 2006

Tim wrote:
> On Tue, 2006-12-19 at 06:35 -0500, Jim Cornette wrote:
>> Unless you need to access the BIOS via the USB keyboard, (or old DOS,
>> win OS) legacy USB support is not needed.
>
> I found you couldn't operate GRUB without it, it needed a PS/2 keyboard,
> or the BIOS emulating it.  Tried that on three different motherboards.

I didn't realize that grub was so limited. I guess with the space it
occupies, it is pretty much legacy. Thanks for the information.

Does it hang at grub or does it proceed to boot after the timeout?

The laptop where I had problems with legacy USB support was an HP brand
and the internal keyboard did not work with USB legacy support enabled.
I did not have a USB keyboard in my circumstance.

Jim

--
You will experience a strong urge to do good; but it will pass.