does logwatch work on FC6?

Ric Moore wayward4now at gmail.com
Wed Dec 20 07:38:35 UTC 2006

On Tue, 2006-12-19 at 17:09 +1030, Tim wrote:
> Tim:
> >> I've been playing with FC6 lately, and unlike FC4 or FC5, I don't see
> >> any mail issued from logwatch.  The root user didn't get any, and nor
> >> did another local user when I remembered to update the aliases file.
>
> Phil Meyer
> > Sendmail (or other MTA) must be running to receive local emails.
>
> 'tis running.  It shouldn't need special configuration just for local
> mail, like logwatch, etc., should it?  That sort of thing should work
> out of the box, like it always did before.
>
> Logwatch hasn't done a thing on two independent, non-update, FC6
> installs I've tried here.  Even on boxes that have been left running for
> more than 24 hours, straight.  Yes, I have thought of the obvious...

Tim, "trouble-shooting with a shotgun" Ric here. Just for ducks, go into
the "services" app, select all run levels, and scroll down the list to
see if anything jumps out at you that is not enabled. See if syslog is
enabled. I have installed cleanly out of the box, too. I get system
messages. But I dimly recall having to make the service enabled checking
it's check boxes for level 3 and 5.

It used to be called "services", now I see it
under  /administration/Server Settings/ Services System Management
...in my KDE menu. Hope this helps, Ric

http://www.sourceforge.net/projects/oar
http://www.wayward4now.net