does logwatch work on FC6?

Tim ignored_mailbox at yahoo.com.au
Wed Dec 20 09:06:19 UTC 2006

On Wed, 2006-12-20 at 02:38 -0500, Ric Moore wrote:
> Just for ducks, go into the "services" app, select all run levels, and
> scroll down the list to see if anything jumps out at you that is not
> enabled. See if syslog is enabled.

One of the first things I do on a new system is run that and turn off
half a dozen things inappropriate to my needs, as well as check that the
usual things are running.  Syslog was enabled, as expected, and I
double-checked it now so I don't look too foolish.  ;-)

I did get things working, when I fixed up a hostname issue (already
written about it, in this thread).  I found a collection of unsent
system messages in the /var/spool/mqueue/ directory that sorted
themselves out, once I fixed the hostname problem.

I notice that if I type in "hostname" on FC4, I get a FQDN returned, but
on FC6 I just get a hostname.  I don't have FC5 running, now, to try
that, too.