boot USB errors

Tim ignored_mailbox at yahoo.com.au
Wed Dec 20 13:05:58 UTC 2006

On Wed, 2006-12-20 at 06:46 -0500, Jim Cornette wrote:
> I was curious to what effect no keyboard would have on grub. The
> answer helps since the next generation of a computer product that I
> deal with has no PS/2 connectors and is completely dependent on USB
> working.  USB legacy is of course enabled on these computers by
> default.
>
> Do you still get the same problem with USB devices once the OS loads
> when USB legacy is disabled?

A couple of my BIOSs have some peculiar USB legacy options, which aren't
described properly, and I can't recall what it was (if I reboot now,
it's going to be too disruptive).  But it was either AUTO and ENABLED,
or AUTO and DISABLED, there weren't three options.  It's unclear what
the legacy mode offers beyond faking a PS/2 keyboard - the manual only
vaguely talks about using it for some things that might need it.  But
the only problem I can detect, after booting, is if I also enable an USB
mouse emulated as PS/2 option on one of them.

I read messages from the public lists.