installing libs from source

Brandon Rambo bjro.rambo at gmail.com
Wed Dec 20 13:44:08 UTC 2006

well I would like to argue the merits of a good tarball... one of the
reasons that you have to run the ./configure scrips is to check for
dependencies you can also tell it where you would like it installed if you
do not want to install it in the default location... you can also usually
enable and disable some features within that program... also you don't have
to look for a special rpm for the kernel that you are running or your
systems arch... also if you happened to install those dependencies that the
program needs in a different location you can also specify where those
dependencies are located... where as an rpm only looks in the default
location and can only see things that you have installed via rpm until after
you reboot then most of the time it can also see what software that you have
installed via tarball.

also i have searched the WWW and its really just a whole lot of jargon that
I am having trouble understating

Brandon