Error message: "Totem could not play mms"

kalinix calin.kalinix.cosma at gmail.com
Wed Dec 20 19:39:20 UTC 2006

On Wed, 2006-12-20 at 11:55 -0700, Reg Clemens wrote:
> I have asked this question before, with no response,
>
> When trying to play video clips from www.cnn.com, I get the
> error message
>
>      Totem could not play mms
>
> are there codecs somewhere to upgrade Totem?
> What about Mplayer?
> I have no idea how to try to use Mplayer rather than Totem
> in Firefox,- the option to change doesnt seem to be in
> preferences anywhere... Is it possible to change and would
> it help?
>
> --
>                                         Reg.Clemens
>                                         reg at dwf.com

You might try and replace totem with any other decent player (mplayer
for example).
I found this is the best way to get rid of those stupid messages that
"totem couldn't play the selected file", which I received anytime I
tried to play any media file.

You may find mplayer (and also many many other useful things) on
freshrpms.net

Calin Cosma