Honey I blew up the USB ports

Joe Smith jes at martnet.com
Wed Dec 20 21:40:55 UTC 2006

I plugged my USB memory stick in the other night, and instantly froze my
FC5 system. I mean bang--dead.

The reboot went fine, journals all recovered fine (Nice!), but the
system no longer responds to any device plugged in. No kernel messages
at all. The stick still works in other computers, and the ports still
don't work if I reboot into that other OS, so it sure looks like my USB
ports are gone.

All the kernel messages on bootup look ok, same as usual, no errors.

Anyone else have this happen?

Anything else I might try?

Anything I should look for when buying an add-on card?

<Joe