[Alsa-user] FC6 audio differences

Gene Heskett gene.heskett at verizon.net
Wed Dec 20 23:12:45 UTC 2006

On Wednesday 20 December 2006 12:29, Lee Revell wrote:
>On Wed, 2006-12-20 at 10:33 -0500, Gene Heskett wrote:
>> In an effort to make sure my dual audio setup continued to work, I
>> transfered my FC2's modprobe.conf to the FC6 version.  It should work
>> right?

I've also CC:'d the fedora list now.

>No idea.
>
>Doesn't FC6 provide a better interface to select the default sound card
>than editing that file?
>
>If you don't run legacy OSS apps, the cleanest solution is the way
>gnome-sound-properties does it (define "default" PCM in
>per-user .asoundrc)
>
>Lee

FC6 apparently doesn't use that file at all, it doesn't exist.

New info:

I ran system-config-soundcard, the fedora gizmo to do this, and it saw
both cards, and could properly test both cards AND assign them as device
0 and device 1, so I had it switch them.

However x/kde seems to have a mind of its own because at the same time the
tests worked properly, kde was driving my skype headphones plugged into
the motherboard in its own in its own control-center/sound/devices menu's
plus when you query for devices, it brings up the various API's, like
alsa, esound, oss yadda yadda.

After I'd ran system-config-soundcard, I had this at the bottom of my
modprobe.conf:

options snd cards_limit=8
alias snd-card-0 snd-emu10k1
options snd-emu10k1 index=0
alias snd-card-1 snd-intel8x0
options snd-intel8x0 index=1

  I says that's neat, and moved the rest of those aliases & options to a
point below it in the file, then rebooted.

Now system-config-soundcard can't make a sound through the nvidia stuff at
all, and kde now completely muted.

This system-config-soundcard can generate a log that pretty well samples
the system so its bulky and its attached.  Maybe there are some clues in
it?  All this worked great for FC2.

If this isn't helpfull, does anyone know howto make the system log those
actions where it reads modprobe.conf so that one can troubleshoot a
fubared setup?

--
Cheers, Gene
-Ed Howdershelt (Author)