cannot backup sata drive with dd

Rick Stevens rstevens at vitalstream.com
Thu Dec 21 00:47:27 UTC 2006

On Wed, 2006-12-20 at 16:29 -0700, Kevin Kempter wrote:
> Hi List;
>
> I'm running FC5 on a thinkpad laptop with an internal SATA drive and a second
> drive adapter (a smart drive tray or some such marketing hype) which holds a
> second SATA drive. The CD drive is removable and I can insert the second
> drive.
>
> With this configuration I booted into single user mode (init 1) and ran:
> dd if=/dev/sda of=/dev/hdc
>
> after about an hour I always get this:
> IPW2200 firmware error detected, restarting
>
> after that every few minutes the error is repeated and the dd never finishes.

Did you boot normally THEN did "init 1" or "telinit 1"?  If so, the
network got started and that's what's complaining.  Instead, boot
directly to single user mode by adding " single" to the end of your
grub boot command and don't let the network interfaces come up.

-               500: Internal Fortune Cookie Error                   -