does logwatch work on FC6?

Tim ignored_mailbox at yahoo.com.au
Thu Dec 21 06:22:17 UTC 2006

Tim:
>>> I notice that if I type in "hostname" on FC4, I get a FQDN returned,
>>> but on FC6 I just get a hostname.  I don't have FC5 running, now, to
>>> try that, too.

Tony Nelson:
>> On my FC6, hostname returns "localhost.localdomain" (I haven't set a
>> hostname), wo I'm getting a "FQDN" of a sort.

Donald Tripp:
> It has to do with the order of host names in /etc/hosts for
> localhost... I think... :-)

Just tested FC5, and it shows a FQDN.  Though I notice that I've got a
FQDN where neat asks me to enter a hostname (on the DNS tab).  I haven't
observed this cause a problem like I did when that happened on the FC6
box.

On my statically set FC4 & FC5 boxes, the hosts file is done as it's
supposed to be done.

e.g. #IP address  FQDN                   alias(es)
     127.0.0.1    localhost.localdomain  localhost
     192.168.1.2  two.example.com        two

On the FC6 boxes with dynamically allocated addresses, that's not
possible.  So they've got the local loopback line abused (as done by the
system, not I).  Presumably, so that they can still boot if the network
is down.

e.g. #IP address  FQDN             alias(es)
     127.0.0.1    dyn.example.com  dyn localhost.localdomain  localhost

I'll have to do some more testing, but I can't do it right now.

I read messages from the public lists.