FC6 VPN

Les Mikesell lesmikesell at gmail.com
Thu Dec 21 14:17:53 UTC 2006

Ric Moore wrote:

>>> I used to use ssh and cipe to tunnel into my office machine, is this
>>> like that? Ric
>>>
>> Not exactly - with ssh you have to specify every port to forward and
>> every destination address.   If you want something like cipe, look
>> at openvpn.
>
> Right, I had a little script for that to specify the ports... the
> network beenies set it up for me and my tired little brain. ssh had to
> happen first, followed by cipe, with another script to transfer my Larry
> Ellison's Finest (Oracle) from my machine in my cube at RH to my home
> via a 56k modem. (this is back in 2000) If you were home sick, you still
> worked... bless 'em.
>
> Took awhile, for everything to transfer, but once it did it was almost
> as fast as being in front of my office machine. It was all tab to next
> box and fill-in the blanks crap anyway. The gui stayed pretty much the
> same most of the time, so it didn't refresh much. Heck, I was more
> secure than most bank transfers.
>
> Imagine being in charge of the networks at RH. You'd be the best of the
> best, or had better be with all the huge name developers there in one
> spot. I was just a cut n' paste monkey with 800 emails staring us in the
> face on Monday morning for user tech support requests... generally for
> the same problems over and over and over again. Write once, paste many
> many times. <chuckles> Ric

Actually the nicest 'work remotely' solution now is probably NX from
http://www.nomachine.com/.  You can download their free client for
various platforms and run either their commercial server or the
freenx variation.  It gives you remote X capability without the
lag on connections with low bandwidth or high latency and can run
over an ssh-encrypted link.

--
   Les Mikesell
     lesmikesell at gmail.com