Printable LAMP docs / books?

Craig White craig at tobyhouse.com
Thu Dec 21 18:52:32 UTC 2006

On Thu, 2006-12-21 at 11:23 -0500, Tony Nelson wrote:
> At 10:51 AM -0500 12/21/06, Dmitriy Kropivnitskiy wrote:
> >OK, L.A.M.P. is basically just a popular bunch of separate technologies,
> >so you should really read the docs on each separate one.
>
> I am well aware of what L.A.M.P stands for.  I am asking for an /overview/.
----
I don't know of an answer to your question but I seem to recall some 5+
years ago going through some of the tutorials and finding the concepts
all interactive - meaning that it required having php/mysql alive and
active so I could perform the tasks in real time with the tutorial
because simply reading it wasn't going to get me anywhere.

I would suggest that at this juncture, rubyonrails (aka RoR), is a
significantly faster, significantly less coding than PHP and depending
upon what your intent is, probably would recommend rubyonrails over PHP
for anyone wanting to get into developing dynamic data derived web
applications.

There are a few screencasts at www.rubyonrails.org and the 'bible' of
rubyonrails (Agile Web Development with Rails - aka AWDWR) is available
as PDF (also easily findable from the link above).

Anyway, if you're determined to use PHP, you might want to start with
the PHP tutorials recommended here...
http://us2.php.net/tut.php

Craig