Honey I blew up the USB ports

Joe Smith jes at martnet.com
Thu Dec 21 22:52:33 UTC 2006

James Wilkinson wrote:
> I'm not disagreeing with you, but the USB standard is *supposed* to
> handle that [static discharge].
> So, if your assumption is correct, either the USB plugs were substandard
> in the first place, or enough current flowed to blow a fuse or break
> something else.

My guess is option 1. The problem with a low-cost consumer standard like
USB is that everybody cuts corners to save 0.2 cents per unit. I guess
it's still better than $60 SCSI cables.

> Is the system a laptop or a desktop? Was it connected to the mains
> through a grounded power supply?

It's a white-box desktop, low-mid-range metal case. Maybe the metal
shield on the socket isn't in contact with the case as you described. I
certainly never checked that when I put it together.

The plugs are all three-prong but it's an old house and I can't say that
I've ever tested the ground connections.

<Joe