Printing problems with FC6

Matthew Saltzman mjs at ces.clemson.edu
Fri Dec 22 03:04:58 UTC 2006

On Thu, 21 Dec 2006, Tom Cross wrote:

> I have a recently updated/freshly installed fedora core 6 workstation
> with an attached printer.  I'm trying to set it up so that other
> computers can print to the attached printer.
>
> I cannot find anywhere in the "system-config-printer" program that says
> "allow printing from network".
>
> I had to edit /etc/cups/cupsd.conf and add a "Listen hostname:631" and
> an "Allow mynetwork" line there.
>
> After I added them, the two lines mysteriously disappeared.  We tried
> reproducing the program by starting system-config-printer again, making
> changes, restarting cups, etc... the changes stayed.  I'm thinking
> whatever overwrote my cupsd.conf is waiting for me to be out of the
> building to break it again.
>
> Is there a proper "fedora-way" to tell cups to allow for network
> printing?

On the left of the s-c-p window is a "Server Settings" menu entry.  Click
that and check "Share published printers..."  Then on each printer's
Settings tab, check "Shared".

> Is there a reason why my changes to cupsd.conf are getting replaced?

I thought the new s-c-p was supposed to eave custom entries in cupsd.conf
alone.  Maybe not...

--
 		Matthew Saltzman

Clemson University Math Sciences