Printing problems with FC6

Tim Waugh twaugh at redhat.com
Fri Dec 22 09:28:45 UTC 2006

On Thu, 2006-12-21 at 15:59 -0600, Tom Cross wrote:
> I had to edit /etc/cups/cupsd.conf and add a "Listen hostname:631" and
> an "Allow mynetwork" line there.
>
> After I added them, the two lines mysteriously disappeared.  We tried
> reproducing the program by starting system-config-printer again, making
> changes, restarting cups, etc... the changes stayed.  I'm thinking
> whatever overwrote my cupsd.conf is waiting for me to be out of the
> building to break it again.

Perhaps you had experimented with the 'Server settings' checkboxes in
either the system-config-printer tool or the CUPS web interface after
making the changes to cupsd.conf?

Nothing else in FC-6 ought to be making any changes to that file at all.

> Is there a proper "fedora-way" to tell cups to allow for network
> printing?

As in another reply: select 'Share published printers' in the server
settings screen, and select 'Shared' for each printer you want to
publish. (That checkbox ought to read 'Published' actually..)

> Is there a reason why my changes to cupsd.conf are getting replaced?

In FC-6 cupsd.conf should only be modified as a result of you changing
the 'Server Settings' checkboxes, either in system-config-printer or in
the CUPS web interface.

Tim.
*/