Calling mplayer users

Anne Wilson cannewilson at tiscali.co.uk
Fri Dec 22 19:52:13 UTC 2006

On Friday 22 December 2006 19:44, Paul Smith wrote:
> On 12/22/06, Anne Wilson <cannewilson at tiscali.co.uk> wrote:
> > Feeling fed-up with xine being broken since the updates, and not really
> > having time to bother fixing it at the moment I decided to try mplayer.
> > I use xine mainly for checking my home-made recordings, so the tools I
> > most need are the ability to step through the chapters and take a
> > snapshot of the title screen for use on the case.  I can't manage to do
> > either of these on mplayer, and wonder whether it is the app or my
> > ineptitude.
> >
> > Stepping through seems to take me just 10 seconds along the time-line -
> > rather slow for a long production.  I have 5-minute-ish chapters made,
> > and want to jump along them.  I can't find any snapshot tool, and using
> > ksnapshot seems to result in either a blank blue screen or a jig-saw
> > series of part-screens, overwriting previously saved unrelated pngs.
> > I've never seen behaviour like this before.  Outside of mplayer ksnapshot
> > behaves perfectly.
> >
> > I guess I'll have to fix xine tomorrow - but is mplayer really so lame?
>
> Anne,
>
> It is easy and quick to fix xine: see the thread at:
>
> http://marc.theaimsgroup.com/?l=fedora-list&m=116653178122843&w=2

Hi, Paul.  Yes, I know, I read the thread, but it's yet another hassle that I
could do without right now.  I'm a little peeved that a 'yum update' on
Wednesday broke xine, and here we are, going into a holiday weekend without
it being fixed.  OK, rant over.  I'll change the repo settings in the morning
and get it sorted.

Thanks for answering.

Anne