Recommendations on hardware/systems

Dmitriy Kropivnitskiy nigde at mitechki.net
Fri Dec 22 20:56:01 UTC 2006

Max Pyziur wrote:

> Greetings,
>
> I'm ready to get a new box.  Any recommendations on a Micro-ATX system.
> I see this barebones
> http://www.ibexpc.com/ib76mibasy1.html
>
> and would like to outfit it with two drives (80GB and 300GB) and a Gig
> of RAM (at least) along with a 16x DVD-/+ RW and then install FC6.

I have just been specing out a microATX system for myself, so here is some stuff I found.
All the current barebones models I found were lacknig in one way or other, so I think the best bet would be to get separate case and motherboard.
In case of the barebone you picked, according to Intel, this motherboard is not designed to support Core 2 Duo.
http://www.intel.com/products/chipsets/865g/ even if Core 2 Duo actually works on it, it might have stability and or performance implications.
So far I found the following components:

Case: APEVIA (ASPIRE) X-QPACK-GN/420 http://www.newegg.com/product/product.asp?item=N82E16811144111
CPU: Intel Core 2 Duo 6300 or 6400 or even 6600
RAM: 2x1GB DDR2 800 (I picked A-DATA RAM, but any other would do, 2x1GB is to utilize dual channel capabilities of the chipset)
Motherboard: This one is a bit difficult. Reasonably you only have G965 and Q965 chipsets available in the MicroATX boards and
Q965 is notoriously problematic, so your choice is between Intel mobo (such as BOXDG965SSCK) which is very stable doesn't support overclocking or a
3rd party (Gigabit and Asus are making G965 models).
Hard Drive: Having an 80GB and 300GB I think is a bit silly, unless you have a good reason. But in any case you probably want SATA 3.0Gb/s. If you
want speed and have money go with WD Raptor X, if you want quiet, go with Samsung SpinPoint (400GB for $100 is not bad). You might consider getting
two identical drives and configure them into RAID0 (get mobo with onboard raid) for added performance.