Printing problems with FC6

Aaron Konstam akonstam at sbcglobal.net
Fri Dec 22 22:07:04 UTC 2006

On Thu, 2006-12-21 at 15:59 -0600, Tom Cross wrote:
> I have a recently updated/freshly installed fedora core 6 workstation
> with an attached printer.  I'm trying to set it up so that other
> computers can print to the attached printer.
>
> I cannot find anywhere in the "system-config-printer" program that says
> "allow printing from network".
>
> I had to edit /etc/cups/cupsd.conf and add a "Listen hostname:631" and
> an "Allow mynetwork" line there.
>
> After I added them, the two lines mysteriously disappeared.  We tried
> reproducing the program by starting system-config-printer again, making
> changes, restarting cups, etc... the changes stayed.  I'm thinking
> whatever overwrote my cupsd.conf is waiting for me to be out of the
> building to break it again.
>
> Is there a proper "fedora-way" to tell cups to allow for network
> printing?
> Is there a reason why my changes to cupsd.conf are getting replaced?
The correct way to do this is setup the printer on the print server
using cups web interface (localhost:631) and then do nothing on the
clients as far as client.conf is concerned. All computers on the same
LAN will be able to print to the print server.

Or to me more specific do not use system-config-printer to configure the
printer.
Good day for a change of scene. Repaper the bedroom wall.
Aaron Konstam telephone: (210) 656-0355 e-mail: akonstam at sbcglobal.net