Window positioning?

William Case billlinux at rogers.com
Sat Dec 23 02:12:36 UTC 2006

Hi Cameron;

On Sat, 2006-12-23 at 10:28 +1100, Cameron Simpson wrote:
> On 22Dec2006 16:02, William Case <billlinux at rogers.com> wrote:
> | Who or what is responsible for positioning newly opened windows in
> | Fedora 6 and Gnome 2.16?  Is it Fedora, Xorg, Gnome, MetaCity, or the
> | application.

Well, you answered my question.  Positioning for MetaCity is not a bug.
For Fedora it might be in that positioning for Window Manager strikes mu
as an essential service.  It it isn't provided Fedora Core should look
to installing with a new manager.

> Metacity - it is the window manager.
>
> Firstly, its behaviour can be adjusted to suit your desires (like all
> things: up to a point).
>
> Secondly, if you don't like what it can be told to do, you can run any
> of several other window managers.
>
> "man metacity" (you _did_ try that, didn't you, since you knew to ask
> about metacity) says:
>
>   CONFIGURATION
>     metacity  configuration  can  be  found  under Preferences->Windows and
>     Preferences->Keyboard Shortcuts on the menu-panel.  Advanced  configura-
>     tion  can  be  achieved directly through gconf editing (gconf-editor or
>     gconftool-2).

I have checked MetaCity three ways to Sunday.  None of the above
mentioned configuration tools (all actually different versions of the
same backend) deals with window positioning

> I don't run metacity; I run FVWM, my other runs icewm. Metacity is very
> simple but not amazingly flexible. FVWM is extremely flexible. There are othe
> window managers available in between. Several are mentioned here:
>
>   http://freshmeat.net/browse/56/

Thanks for the site.  Hadn't seen the /browse/56/ location before.

> Experiment.

I will.

> | [... various desires ...]
>
> Sounds like you need to move to a window manager that offers more
> control.

Is there any big cost or loss in efficiency by using FVWM or icewm?

--
Regards Bill