OS Future now that Fedora Legacy defunct

James Wilkinson fedora at aprilcottage.co.uk
Sat Dec 23 12:54:57 UTC 2006

Justin W wrote:
> I'm not trying to start a heated debate (just curious :-), but why
> would you have to have a patch rpm against both the original package
> and an updated package? Why couldn't it be set up like patches where
> you would require previous patch rpms to be installed, and we could
> even obsolete a patch rpm with a later patch rpm, bringing the
> download total back down again (this makes me think of what SP2 does
> for XP, eliminating the need for a googolplex KB updates, though I'm
> not considering the overall size here). I do see the point in an
> initial install after the release date would require downloading the
> package and all of the patches, so that could get to be a problem.

I think you've just answered your own question.

Computers will be in any state (as far as a particular package goes):
uninstalled, unpatched, or any number of previous patches installed.
*Either* you have minimal (possibly delta) RPMs to get users from any of
those states to the current updated package, which means one RPM per
state, *or* you require some of them to download multiple patch RPMs,
which will be larger than the minimal RPM they'd ideally like.

And at some point, the series of RPMs is larger and more of a problem
than just having full package RPMs.

James.

--
E-mail:     james@ | "The letters are Elvish, of an ancient mode, but the
aprilcottage.co.uk | language is that of Microsoft, which I will not utter